Recently I have started eating zucchini. I now believe that your taste buds truly change because I used to hate zucchini. It may have something to do with my husband being a food pusher.
Of course I found this recipe on Zucchini Fries on pinterest and had to try it. My husband and I are trying to eat healthy so I am always searching for new ideas. I recommend eating them straight out of the oven because they cool off fast.
You are only suppose to use one egg white but we used 1 whole egg and 2 egg whites.
- Several zucchini
- 1 egg white
- Dry bread crumbs
- Parmesan or Grana Padano cheese
- Separate the egg and discard the yolk. (You may use the whole egg if you prefer.) Place the egg white in a pie plate or shallow bowl; add a pinch of salt and beat lightly with a fork. Set aside.
- In another shallow bowl or pie plate, place some dry bread crumbs, and about half as much Parmesan cheese. Unless you’re feeding an army, you won’t need a lot. I generally start with ½ cup of bread crumbs and a ¼ cup of Parmesan. You can add a shake of salt and dry herbs such as basil or oregano if you like. Set this mixture aside as well.
- Cut the zucchini into similar-size pieces or wedges. The coating doesn’t adhere as well to the smooth skin as it does to the more porous zucchini itself so I usually trim off a bit of the skin on each side before slicing. If you’re short on time—or don’t really care about how much coating adheres, you can skip trimming the skin.
- Dip each slice or wedge first into the egg white and then into the crumbs. Lay the pieces on a greased or parchment-lined baking sheet. Place the pan in a preheated 400° F/200° C oven for about 15-20 minutes. Use a spatula to turn them over halfway through the baking time. Depending on your oven, you may also need to switch the baking pans halfway through the baking time: move the one on the top shelf to the bottom and vice versa.
- We enjoy them “as is” with perhaps a bit more salt. You can also dip them in a marinara sauce. With such a high water content in the zucchini, they will get limp after setting so don’t try to prepare them ahead.